Which team is the best?
Team 1 53%  53%  [ 16 ]
Team 2 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Team 3 33%  33%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 30

Post subject: Group 2
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

After much deliberation we have the top three teams from each group. It was far from easy to do. Part of the beauty of football, is that it's all about opinions, and this process highlighted this. We asked for the thoughts of others in a number of places, they were unexpected and varied. We've tried to taken them all on board.

We have removed the manager names in the hope that all teams are judged on their merits. Feel free to discuss which team is best, as well as voting. But even if you know, or the team is yours, do not mention who picked any of the teams.

The 3rd placed team will get one UE point.

The 2nd placed team will get two UE points.

The 3rd team will get three, and will be entered into a further poll to decide the winner (who will get another 2 UE points).

Post subject: Re: Group 2
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

TEAM 1

1. Kahn GK
2. Dani Alves RB
3. Lahm LB
4. Hansen CB
5. Hierro CB
6. Rui Costa CM
7. Fernando Redondo AM
8. Hagi PL
9. Eusebio CF
10. Ronaldinho RF
11. Messi LF

A team with everything, flair in abundance, bite in the tackle with Redondo and Hansen, pace in the full backs and the magic of the front 4 with the string puller Rui Costa in the middle.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

TEAM 2

1. David de Gea
2. Gianluga Zambrotta
3. Jordi Alba
4. Roy Keane
5. Rio Ferdinand
6. Tony Adams
7. Andrea Pirlo
8. Michael Laudrup
9. Luis Suarez
10. Gary Lineker
11 Christiano Ronaldo

My mum always says to me when an old record comes on ‘they don’t make them like they used to Nat, not like this tripe nowadays’ I like to think I know otherwise.
Is this the same with sportspeople? How do you compare across eras? I think it’s hard to, a few pieces of footage of a player from the 50’s is a bit different to listening to the Beatles over and over throughout your lifetime.
This is exactly why, I only picked players I had seen growing up and could then gauge only these against each other.
Are Queen better than Elvis, who knows? But I do know that Oasis are better than Blur, IMO and that’s the key…. ;-)

So my team…
GK:
David De Gear
A surprise to some no doubt as he’s only 5 seasons or so into a career but alongside Neuer, these two are a clear step above anyone in the world. Their all round game, crosses, shot stopping, distribution, footballing ability. De Gea is the deciding factor in winning games so often. Some of the saves he has made, many goalkeepers are incapable of. His agility and athleticism is second to none.
In 10 years, he will be looked upon higher than Buffon and maybe even Schmeical.

RWB:
Gianluca Zambrotta
A stalwart of Juve and also spells with Barca and Milan are not to be sniffed at. An absolute athlete and technically superb too. This era brought a new life to the role of the full back/wing back in terms of supporting attack and penetrating into the opposition’s box time upon time. He could play on either side of the pitch too. He won numerous titles and won 98 Italy caps which is no mean feat, winning the 2006 World Cup along the way.

LWB;
Jordi Alba
Again maybe unexpected but it a transitional period at Barca, Alba joined and continued the trend of winning in seamless fashion. An absolute certainty on the team sheet for both club and country which has resulted in winning both domestic and international trophies. Much like Zambrotta was doing 10 years previous, Alba supports attack but also is not beaten at the back very often.
Not many better LB’s/LWB’s in the modern game or over the last generation for sheer ability and pure technical attributes.

CB:
Rio Ferdinand
Multiple trophy winner at Domestic level and a long standing servant for over 10 years at Utd. Not many ball playing Centre halves about, especially in the premier league, but he was majestic at bringing the ball out calmly and finding a pass but also effortless in his positioning and making a tackle or interception. Hardly ever booked or needed to even go to ground. Blessed with good pace and aerial ability too. Would be lorded upon had he been Spanish or Italian!

CB:
Tony Adams (C)
The yang to Rio’s ying. Who loves a CB combo like this? The finesse of Rio, the sheer grit and leadership of Adams. Shame they marginally overlapped in their careers. Adams was a warrior, a battler, a fighter until the end. In your face giving you instructions, giving you belief and the mentality to win. But also, he could play a bit, he wasn’t just a physical bully, he could defend with his live but could also hold his own in a technically excellent Arsenal team.

CM:
Roy Keane
Box to box midfield destroyer. The energy, the power, the will to win, the never say die attitude made Keane a force to drive Utd on to success after success. Technically astute, simpler passer but also powerful in motion, great in the air and won most tackles. Blocking shots in his own box before popping up in the opposition’s box 15 seconds later on so many occasions. Also a great leader, with Adams and Roy in the team, you won’t lose many games just by sheer motivation of both fear and belief.

PL:
Andrea Pirlo
Majestic. Looked like he played in slow motion. So much finesse and technical ability to move the ball around and find little gaps. Another who has won on both domestic and international level. Opened more doors than a locksmith and had more keys in his footballing locker than a prison guard has on his belt. Was a joy to watch how simple he made the game look.

FR:
Micheal Laudrup
Genius with a football and graced 3 super teams in Juve, Barca and Real Madrid and his colleagues wax lyrical about his skills and ability. Compliments from some of the greats should be noted ! He was amazing with the ball at his feet and was a fantastic link between midfield and attack finding holes all over the place to exploit.

LF:
Luis Suarez
Anyone who questions this guy in a line-up of legends is off their rocker ;-) So much passion, pace and precision. The work-rate is phenomenal and does not look out of place with any of his superstar teammates and on occasions has dragged them through games. His spell at Liverpool proved how he could influence and instils belief and confidence in a whole team. Not really contenders before or after his spell. He also carries a huge weight at International level and delivers time after time.

RF:
Cristiano Ronaldo
This guy has it all, total all round ability; skills, power, pace, dribbling, shooting, aerial threat, work-rate, professionalism. A total footballer. Delivers goals and assists so regularly it’s scary. Can stretch defences and bring fear to any full back or centre half he faces. Can interlink with teammates and is more of a team player than people give him credit for. Having said that, players with his ability deserve to be selfish on occasions.

CF:
Gary Lineker
Possibly the most potent of strikers I’ve seen. Doesn’t offer much outside the box, but anywhere where there was a sniff of a goal he was there and his hit ratio was immense at all his clubs. Had an amazing turn of pace and ability to find the smallest of gaps in a crowded box. Imagine Laudrup, Ronnie and Suarez feeding him? Goals galore!

That’s my team, obviously I missed out on a few players who have graced the pitch and the screen in my lifetime but I think the all-round ability and balance would strike fear into any team’s side. Also they are all only 15-20 years apart at the height of brilliance which to me suggests they could be on the same wavelength and would click so well.

Each to their own but I just can’t justify including players from an era well before I was born, how do you really gauge their ability? From YouTube and Wikipedia? Not for me. Not doubting their ability whatsoever but as a 39 year old I guess I would be in the older bracket of UE players and I think there is a wide enough selection to pick a team of legends to grace any make belief football match, without going down the sentimental route or brandishing my new found knowledge of footballing greats from yester yester year! That wasn’t a stutter, but this is a wrap! ;-)

ZM
POD
KP
FM
LP
RAD/SOS

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Team 3

1. Manuel Neuer
2. Djalma Santos
3. Giacinto Facchetti
4. Frank Rijkaard
5. Franz Beckenbauer
6. Bobby Moore
7. Steven Gerrard
8. Falcao (Brazil)
9. Jurgen Klinsmann
10. Sergio Aguero
11. Michel Platini

GK = MANUEL NEUER, (GER)
IFFHS Worlds best keeper award winner 2013,14,15 in a row, many regard him as one of the best of all time. I picked him as I think he is the complete keeper best I've ever seen.

LWB = GIACINTO FACCHETTI (ITA)
In the Italian hall of fame as one of the best players of all time in his position. I picked him as he as he is regarded as pioneering the first truly attacking full backs.

RWB = DJALMA SANTOS (BRA)
Appeared in 4 World Cups, winning 2. Another of the first great attacking full backs, I picked him due to his outstanding defensive and offensive capabilities and experience.

CB =BOBBY MOORE (ENG) Capt
A true legend of the game, World cup winner. I picked him as he was a tough tackler and great reader of the game. A leader of men.

CB=FRANZ BECKENBAUER (GER)
Twice named European footballer of the year, another great who I picked for his superb passing and composure in defence.

AM= FRANK RIJKAARD (HOLL)
One of the best defensive midfielders of all time, picked for his perfect suitability for the AM role

CM= STEVEN GERRARD (ENG)
Picked for his all round game, a complete box to box midfielder, hardworking, with a eye for goal

PL= FALCAO (BRA)
Elegant player picked for his range of passing, vision and shooting, a top playmaker who could also tackle.

FR= MICHEL PLATINI (FRA)
A superb passer of the ball but also a prolific goalscocer, picked in a free role for his ability to hurt the opposition laying on assists and composed finishing in front of goal.

IF= SERGIO AGUERO (ARG)
Can play either as CF or second striker, one of the best strikers in the world picked as inside forward due to his passing, vision, finishing and intelligence.

CF= JURGEN KLINNSMAN (GER)
World cup and Euro Championship winner, picked for his excellent movement and deadly finishing.

Tactics

POD
ZM
FM
PP
CS
SOS

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:57 pm 

I believe there to be an error here as the third team in this list has Platini whom from memory, I picked as my first choice (not 100% certain, but i'm reasonably sure), but the team listed is not mine.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

This isn't your group, they have been shuffled to make the managers as anonymous as possible.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:30 pm 

Love the fact the teams with the football bible written next to them have crashed and burnt :lol: all that time for zilch. So funny..... Can't go to the pub tonight lads, doing my write up to nail these 5 UE points :lol: :lol: :lol: