Login    Forum    FAQ

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:27 am 

So what’s everyone’s thoughts of the Pot Lock?

Mine is simple, abolish it.

I feel it serves no positive purpose at all.

Like many others I’m fairly prone to taking a small or a medium sized team in games like to use the POT to add to a player to swap on to gain an already established player in return. I think so many more are like this. With the pot lock it’s preventing so many managers deal right away, especially those wheeler dealers like Fyffe, Joe & some others.

So It’s a no from me.

Game 122 (Legends) - AC Milan
Game 122 (Legends) - Honved
Game 123 (EFG) - Bayern Munich
Game 124 (HFG) - Al Nassr

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:32 am 

Doesn't bother me while it's now at 5 turns

Dresden 114
Blackburn & Espanyol 115
Bochum (League Cup) & Bradford 117
WIGAN ATH 118
WBA , Bochum 120
Hearts, Feyenoord, Man U 119
Burnley 121
Aberdeen 122

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:37 am 

It should be abolished! Let managers make their own decisions rather than restricting them to move their players on! Plus it restricts managers challenging for immediate honours in season 1 as they cannot move their POT players on for more established players.

Also, many managers get around the ‘POT Lock’ by loan-swapping until the restriction is up; which completely cancels out any benefit of such a transfer lock!

Arsenal 112
Genoa 121

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:54 am 

Yeah 5 turn POT lock is good with me.

Stops the snakes from conning or trying to con new players.

It's ok people saying they wan't to use pot players for swaps but week 1 they aren't worth much. I do know that already any of my POT players have went up at least 2OA. And some have doubled in value.

Game121: F Sittard
Game 122: Arsenal, Esbjerg, Hajduk Split

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:01 am 

themouth1888 wrote:

It's ok people saying they wan't to use pot players for swaps but week 1 they aren't worth much. I do know that already any of my POT players have went up at least 2OA. And some have doubled in value.

Why can’t we just let new managers manage their own sides how they wish? I learnt the game by making mistakes. I remember my first turn in game 86 as athletico Madrid and I sold Aguero for cash. I didn’t make that mistake again!

This is a competition can we keep it that way?

Arsenal 112
Genoa 121

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:45 pm 

Matthew M wrote:
So what’s everyone’s thoughts of the Pot Lock?

Mine is simple, abolish it.

I feel it serves no positive purpose at all.

Like many others I’m fairly prone to taking a small or a medium sized team in games like to use the POT to add to a player to swap on to gain an already established player in return. I think so many more are like this. With the pot lock it’s preventing so many managers deal right away, especially those wheeler dealers like Fyffe, Joe & some others.

So It’s a no from me.

I totally agree with you and Arron, I like to challenge in the first season for trophy’s and don’t see it being beneficial to the smaller teams. People like to deal they should be aloud to do what they wish with there team aslong as its fair.
People who want to keep it are the managers who would rather not deal and just manage all 3 squads in my opinion. I don’t see what that or karma or the double sa’s bring to the game.

Rosario Central - Game 124

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:48 pm 

themouth1888 wrote:

Wouldn’t say snakes mate if your offering a newbie a 37/95 for example for 2 pot players and cash ain’t a bad deal for the new manager. Would say there are more people in this game now who would rather help someone out than try and con them to when I used to play before and conned the **** out of every new manager :)

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:03 pm 

fyffee wrote:
themouth1888 wrote:

Wouldn’t say snakes mate if your offering a newbie a 37/95 for example for 2 pot players and cash ain’t a bad deal for the new manager. Would say there are more people in this game now who would rather help someone out than try and con them to when I used to play before and conned the **** out of every new manager :)

Yeah all these newer managers complaining about people conning newbies. I’m not sure what the issue is? If both managers are happy with the deal regardless of UE experience then let them do it? They both pay to play the game and they don’t need 3rd party input on how to run their teams. Nothing like back in the day fyffee, as you say!

Arsenal 112
Genoa 121

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:13 pm 

Get rid of the pot lock don't like it. It has made deals complicated. It doesn't really serve a purpose.

I would however keep it in place for any new managers. Anyone new to UE should wait before swapping pot players for their own protection.
Telling them " ah well you will learn for next time " isn't good enough and could lead to them saying screw this I'm off. That's not what anyone wants.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:36 am 

muscles4851 wrote:
Get rid of the pot lock don't like it. It has made deals complicated. It doesn't really serve a purpose.

I would however keep it in place for any new managers. Anyone new to UE should wait before swapping pot players for their own protection.
Telling them " ah well you will learn for next time " isn't good enough and could lead to them saying screw this I'm off. That's not what anyone wants.

This is a point well made, new managers do need protecting

How about new managers start with DC at 40% and can't swap players with potential until they reach 50% ?

The only problem with this or Pot lock, is that new managers may fall even further behind with not being able to deal,it’s a tough one to call...

In conclusion, pot lock was a nice idea, but it didn’t work!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:29 am 

Can I be that really awkward prick and say that I quite like the idea of the Pot Lock? :lol:

If anything, the Pot Lock has actually helped me since I came back to UE... and was part of the reason why I put Pot on 9 (yes, NINE) of my St. Johnstone players. Having more players with Pot might not benefit you at the start of the game, but further down the line it could be the difference between being a millionaire and being skint. Plus it means that managers aren't using Pot players as transfer bait right away.

Sorry lads, but I'm on UE's side here. I like Pot Lock and vote for it to stay.

Season 1

SPL - 5th
Scottish Cup - Runner Up
Champions League - 1st Group Stage
Reserves - 7th
Youths - 4th

Season 2

SPL -
Scottish Cup -
Europa League - 1st Round
Reserves -
Youths -

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:57 am 

Martin Hart wrote:
Can I be that really awkward prick and say that I quite like the idea of the Pot Lock? :lol:

If anything, the Pot Lock has actually helped me since I came back to UE... and was part of the reason why I put Pot on 9 (yes, NINE) of my St. Johnstone players. Having more players with Pot might not benefit you at the start of the game, but further down the line it could be the difference between being a millionaire and being skint. Plus it means that managers aren't using Pot players as transfer bait right away.

Obviously that’s your opinion and it’s valued, I’m not knocking it

But, a couple of quick questions, how did pot lock actually help you?
If pot lock didn’t exist, you wouldn’t have put potential on 9 players?
Surely you have enough will power to turn down offers from other clubs, just like you would in 4 weeks when the pot lock runs out?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:47 am 

People saying that getting conned when you first join is almost like a right of passage that's absolutely ridicouals.

I added POT to 5 players and turn 1 values were:

Tierney: 30.6mil
Ajer: 6.8mil
Ntcham: 8.9mil
McGregor: 15.2mol
Rogic: 6.7mil

Now worth:

34.8mil
12.3mil
11.7mil
19.9mil
13.1mil

Some have doubled in value in that time and others getting there so it 100% helps out new players. Some are just annoyed they now can't offer 34 year old has beens for young POT players is all. Snakes are everywhere....

So if i did now want to cash in on POT players I can expect double to what I would have got turn 1.

Game121: F Sittard
Game 122: Arsenal, Esbjerg, Hajduk Split

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:03 am 

themouth1888 wrote:
People saying that getting conned when you first join is almost like a right of passage that's absolutely ridicouals.

I added POT to 5 players and turn 1 values were:

Tierney: 30.6mil
Ajer: 6.8mil
Ntcham: 8.9mil
McGregor: 15.2mol
Rogic: 6.7mil

Now worth:

34.8mil
12.3mil
11.7mil
19.9mil
13.1mil

Some have doubled in value in that time and others getting there so it 100% helps out new players. Some are just annoyed they now can't offer 34 year old has beens for young POT players is all. Snakes are everywhere....

So if i did now want to cash in on POT players I can expect double to what I would have got turn 1.

Exactly what this man said.

If POT lock was 10-15 turns maybe a bit excessive, but 5 turns? For christ sake if you're a wheeler dealer and can't wait for 5 weeks then go and play football manager!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:06 am 

Ado Den Haag 120 wrote:
Martin Hart wrote:

Surely you have enough will power to turn down offers from other clubs, just like you would in 4 weeks when the pot lock runs out?

Pot Lock helped me identify which players to give Pot to so I knew which players to definitely hold on to - a bit like the 'franchise' tag in the NFL.

If Pot Lock didn't exist I still would have put Pot on 9 players - that's the benefit of starting with 100 UE Points and learning from my past mistakes of either not putting Pot on enough players or wasting UE Points on things I didn't need - such as cash, stadium upgrades etc.

As for turning down offers from other clubs, I've already turned down offers for my Pot players from ROTW clubs... and I don't intend to sell them anyway. I wouldn't have put Pot on them only to sell them on a few weeks later.

Season 1

SPL - 5th
Scottish Cup - Runner Up
Champions League - 1st Group Stage
Reserves - 7th
Youths - 4th

Season 2

SPL -
Scottish Cup -
Europa League - 1st Round
Reserves -
Youths -

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:11 am 

Ado Den Haag 120 wrote:
muscles4851 wrote:

This is a point well made, new managers do need protecting

How about new managers start with DC at 40% and can't swap players with potential until they reach 50% ?

The only problem with this or Pot lock, is that new managers may fall even further behind with not being able to deal,it’s a tough one to call...

In conclusion, pot lock was a nice idea, but it didn’t work!

Yeah good point about falling further behind. New managers do need protecting. A different option could be for UE to look at their early deals. Like scrutinize them as there won't be that many. Any deals found to be unfair they could block them.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:24 am 

Martin Hart wrote:
Ado Den Haag 120 wrote:
Martin Hart wrote:

Pot Lock helped me identify which players to give Pot to so I knew which players to definitely hold on to - a bit like the 'franchise' tag in the NFL.

If Pot Lock didn't exist I still would have put Pot on 9 players - that's the benefit of starting with 100 UE Points and learning from my past mistakes of either not putting Pot on enough players or wasting UE Points on things I didn't need - such as cash, stadium upgrades etc.

As for turning down offers from other clubs, I've already turned down offers for my Pot players from ROTW clubs... and I don't intend to sell them anyway. I wouldn't have put Pot on them only to sell them on a few weeks later.

No matter how good you are at this game pot players becoming great players is luck in my opinion. If anyone was to pick 5 random players in there squad that were under 25 and had decent untrainables 9/10 of them would become good players. Pot only helps to do deals for the smaller teams meaning if you put pot on 9 players and have over 50mil in the bank then you can expect to get a very decent competitive squad to challenge for that league awithim 5 turns.

And for that other guy to say there’s snakes everywhere he certainly hasn’t been in this game long enough.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:26 pm 

Great debate guys, lots of different opinions. But i still stand by abolishing it.

Game 122 (Legends) - AC Milan
Game 122 (Legends) - Honved
Game 123 (EFG) - Bayern Munich
Game 124 (HFG) - Al Nassr

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Thanks everyone for your input.

Unless there is a huge consensus against it, it won't be abolished. I remember early on in the game, lots of threads asking for 2-3 potential players for good but not world class players. It seemed wrong to me, almost toxic, and that trading for potential players was too big a part of the game. Some managers were being taken advantage of, or regretted using a lot of their points to get a player who wasn't that good, and they dropped out.

'Pot lock' stops the mountain of thread asking for potential players on turn 1. It gives managers time to consider their plans rather and gives the potential players time to develop.

The number of weeks could be debated and potentially adjusted, but unless there is a massive consensus against it (which there isn't at the moment), it's here to stay.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:07 pm 

Admin wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input.

Unless there is a huge consensus against it, it won't be abolished. I remember early on in the game, lots of threads asking for 2-3 potential players for good but not world class players. It seemed wrong to me, almost toxic, and that trading for potential players was too big a part of the game. Some managers were being taken advantage of, or regretted using a lot of their points to get a player who wasn't that good, and they dropped out.

'Pot lock' stops the mountain of thread asking for potential players on turn 1. It gives managers time to consider their plans rather and gives the potential players time to develop.

The number of weeks could be debated and potentially adjusted, but unless there is a massive consensus against it (which there isn't at the moment), it's here to stay.

Have to say above I was against pot lock and for its removal. But lot of valid points there and I can say I'd be happy enough for it to stay.
Big teams asking for two pot players on turn 1 is a joke and should be dealt with.

One concern is the HFG, teams like Man Utd and Real Madrid will be at serious disadvantage, so maybe an alteration needed for that. Not total removal but maybe slightly adjusted to accommodate the unique nature of HFG.