Login    Forum    FAQ

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:54 pm 

After a recent game against Austria Vienna, Dave and I shared a joke whilst many fans went off to find a pub. God knows what the joke was but it must have been more entertaining than the 0-0 draw that was served up on the field. There has been a paucity of goals in general - no side in our reserve league is averaging even one goal a game!
However, the Champions League always seems to buck the trend. Eamonn and I would always try to predict the score in the final. One of us would go for 4-3 and the other would take 3-4. This turn's games are no exception with the four Q-Fs ending with scores of 5-2, 4-2, 1-3 and 2-3. That is 22 goals or as we call it in the Central League, a season's worth. Poor old Bayern Munich conceded five. I have never scored five in a first team game in my nine years of playing. Five Gothenburg games have featured more than three aggregate goals this season - all five have been cup games.
Now, the purpose of this post is not to bash the results or moan about the fate of the losers. I am just interested in what it is within the game that is altered to make Cup Games/CL games, so much higher scoring.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:27 pm 

To be fair Mark - My biggest win was against Inter Milan in the league in this game.
A 5-0 win - However I haven't been able to beat him since, this week included!

Although I do appreciate what your saying - Goals do seem to flow in the European Cup competitions.

S3 - 7th in Serie A / CL 1/4's
S4 - 8th in Serie A / Uefa Cup Semi's

Bilbao 119
S1 - FA Cup Winners

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:13 pm 

Am pretty sure that is the first time i have conceded 5 goals in my whole time playing ue, that game was on the back of 15 games unbeaten in lge and cup winning 10 straight lge game's i played almost the same team and tactics with Stuttgart in lge at home which we drew 0-0 the only difference in my starting 11 was neymar played against roma and i dd against them as i was on the away side, i have no idea what went wrong lol

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:15 am 

I can only assume players see Cup games as ones to effectively forget all about tactics and play open entertaining football with no fear factor.

Or in other words they don't give a shit!!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

They engine is only slightly different, some games needs extra time winners etc. The average goals scored is significantly higher than in the league. It's possible the teams that play more games are more attacking, and tactics vary, but I too like to put it down to the excitement of the cup.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:55 pm 

Admin wrote:
They engine is only slightly different, some games needs extra time winners etc. The average goals scored is significantly higher than in the league. It's possible the teams that play more games are more attacking, and tactics vary, but I too like to put it down to the excitement of the cup.

I love this, like they are real people. :) :)

But yeah, like real life cups do seem to produce far more excitement than domestic matches.

Game 122 (Legends) - AC Milan
Game 122 (Legends) - Honved
Game 123 (EFG) - Bayern Munich
Game 124 (HFG) - Al Nassr

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:53 pm 

Mattyb wrote:
I'd imagine that fatigued may possibly play a part in this as well, if I am correct in saying that a cup game follows a league game? 2 games in a week and the cup game being the second fixture, extra time would also then contribute further to this.

No, Matty. There is no first or second. The games happen simultaneously. If your have two players who get injured , one in the cup and one in the league, both will play in the other game. Any 'match order' would mean an injury in game one would result in chaos as the computer dragged replacements from other squads.