Login    Forum    FAQ

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:05 pm 

I think it might be time for the potential retirement age to be reviewed and nudged back from 32 years old to maybe 34 or 35 onwards.

Players these days - at least the very best players tend to play on longer. I might be picking at individual cases but let's look at Cristiano Ronaldo for example he's 35 years old but still seems to be at the very top of his game and still probably Portugal's best player.

Other top stars in the game.

Sergio Ramos - age 33
Lionel Messi - age 32
Luis Suarez - age 33
Zlatan Ibrahimović - age 38
Karim Benzema - age 32
Luka Modric - age 34
Thiago Silva - age 35

That's 8 players age 32+ who by the UE rulebook could all have been long retired by now but in the real life are probably all still at the peak of there careers too, how long could Ronaldo go on for example, another World Cup maybe?

The reason I believe players are lasting longer these days are because they have now had a whole career of looking after themselves. Personally I put it down to the changes brought to the game by Arsene Wenger and now players are reaping a whole career's worth of the benefits going on longer than ever.

It's also not just football where players are going on longer, another example is James Anderson still going at 37 years old, quite remarkable for an international test cricket bowler.

It might take a bit of work in the game admittedly but I do think it would be good to have the minimum retirement age increased which would probably also need to have the max values adjusted as well.

I also realize there's Longevity available for players to not retire and being able to persuade players out of retirement but maybe the price of these could be heavily ramped up to compensate for an increase in the retirement age?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:14 pm 

Agree mate, should be 35. Specially with the new addition where older players need resting more as that's already hurting 30+ players.

If you have that and the risk of retirement at 32 (which is not an accurate likely age nowadays unless injured) then these players will hold no value at all.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:52 pm 

You can tell that you havent been in the game a while Monkey Man, we have Longevity that can be purchased through Karma which solves this problem buddy. I've got it on several of my early 30's players to keep them playing as long as i can.

Also i think what goes un-noticed is that if you keep playing a 33/34/35 year olds, its less likely that they will retire than if you just keep him as a Squad player with him rarely playing.

Game 122 - AC Milan
Game 122 - Honved
Game 123 - Bayern Munich
Game 124 - Al Nassr

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:06 pm 

Matthew M wrote:
You can tell that you havent been in the game a while Monkey Man, we have Longevity that can be purchased through Karma which solves this problem buddy. I've got it on several of my early 30's players to keep them playing as long as i can.

Also i think what goes un-noticed is that if you keep playing a 33/34/35 year olds, its less likely that they will retire than if you just keep him as a Squad player with him rarely playing.

I mentioned Longevity in my post Matthew...

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:56 pm 

I like the way it is, 32 years old.

Signing players older than that is always a risk, players have retired at that age.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they all should retire at that age, but a certain percentage should.

Leave it as is I say

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:56 pm 

Would laugh if you get your turn at say Juventus and the first thing you read is C. Ronaldo has decided to retire at the end of the season :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:44 am 

muscles4851 wrote:

Signing players older than that is always a risk, players have retired at that age.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they all should retire at that age, but a certain percentage should.

Leave it as is I say

I probably didn't put much emphasis on the point that a player's peak years may now actually be later on in the career like all of the above where the late 20's and early 30's has probably been the previous peak age period. I'd now suggest a player is still at the peak of his game at 32 these days or at least not ready for retirement yet. Happy to be corrected if so but I just don't think you see many retire at 32 these days.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:48 am 

Some great points Martin and i fully agree with you, this is something that should be looked at.

GAME 121BrentfordLeague Cup S1, Div 1 S4
Game 121RandersDiv 1 S2, Champs S4,S5, FA Cup S3,S5,

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:36 pm 

Martin B wrote:
muscles4851 wrote:

Leave it as is I say

I probably didn't put much emphasis on the point that a player's peak years may now actually be later on in the career like all of the above where the late 20's and early 30's has probably been the previous peak age period. I'd now suggest a player is still at the peak of his game at 32 these days or at least not ready for retirement yet. Happy to be corrected if so but I just don't think you see many retire at 32 these days.

I'm not advocating all players retiring in and around 32, just that it be a small possibility as it does happen.
For talks sake.......
1% retire at 32
2 % retire at 33
5 % retire at 34
30% retire at 35
50% retire at 36
10% retire at 37
2% retire at 38

That's all I was saying mate, think that's more realistic.